At Raising the Roof, we are dedicated to finding long-term solutions and creating awareness about the issue of homelessness. We believe that best way to find a solution to end homelessness is to teach our children about it. This blog post is aimed to be a resource for parents, families, teachers and educators…to teach kids of all ages, about homelessness and start a dialogue on the issue. Find below an educational booklet on this topic with summaries, ages categories and keywords.
Picture Books (ages 5 -8):
- Fly Away Home, Eve Bunting.
- December, Eve Bunting.
- I Can Hear the Sun, Patricia Polacco.
- A Shelter In our Car, Monica Gunning.
- Someplace to Go, Maria Testa.
- Lily and the Paper Man, Rebecca Upjohn.
Teen (ages 12-15):
- Almost a Hero, John Neufeld.
- Money Hungry, Sharon G. Flake.
- Rich, Nikki Grimes.
- Secret in St. Something, Barbara Brooks Wallace.
- Mr. Stink, David Williams.
Teen + adult fiction (ages 15 +):
- Almost Home, Jessica Blank.
- Can’t Get There from Here, Todd Strasser.
- Tyrell, Coe Booth.
- Smack, Melvin Burgess.
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”19″ gal_title=”Childrens Book about Homelessness”]
Did you find our article useful? Do you have other resources that you want to share with us? Don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com and we will update the list.
Stay tuned for more details on new blog posts and upcoming events by subscribing to our monthly Newsletter!