Raising the Roof has been working diligently on our affordable housing initiative, Reside.
What is Reside?
Reside is a socially conscious initiative that acquires vacant and abandoned properties, and then transforms them into affordable housing. These homes are geared toward individuals who are at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness. This includes, but is not limited to, LGBTQ+ individuals, youth, women, seniors, and veterans.
How is Reside ‘Socially Conscious’?
Reside is considered a socially conscious initiative because it offers numerous social impacts:
- Affordable housing
- Reside creates affordable housing for individuals at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness.
- Employment opportunities
- In partnership with Building Up, the Reside properties provide employment opportunities for individuals facing employment barriers.
- Learn more about Building Up’s amazing work here.
- Environmental sustainability
- Once renovated, Reside properties are equipped with eco-friendly features to ensure that it is both environmentally sustainable, and truly affordable for its tenants in terms of reduced costs of living (e.g. reduced gas and electricity bills).
- Heritage preservation
- The vacant properties acquired through Reside range anywhere from houses to heritage sites.
- By renovating heritage sites into affordable houses, the important heritage features are preserved and revitalized for the new purpose of housing people in need of affordable housing.
- Social corporate engagement
- Reside offers opportunities for different organizations and corporations to give back to the community, and at the same time spend the day team-building!
- Teams can spend a day renovating these properties by participating in activities such as painting, installing fixtures, and landscaping.
As mentioned, Reside will house individuals who are in need of affordable housing. Raising the Roof is currently renovating two Reside properties across Ontario, Canada, turning them into affordable homes for people like Amanda.
Learn more about Amanda’s journey through this mini-film series:
We Need Your Help!
A project like Reside is possible only when an entire community comes together, offering collaborative efforts and resources to create a lasting impact in the community. With your support, we will be able to complete renovations for affordable homes across different communities for individuals like Amanda.
Check out our Go Fund Me Campaign to see how you can support us toward our goal! No donation is too small to help, so please consider donating to our campaign today.